The Fiji Health Sector Support Program is a 5 year program of Australian Aid assistance to the Fiji Ministry of Health.
The Goal of the Fiji Health Sector Support Program is to remain engaged in the Fiji health sector by contributing to the Fiji MOH’s efforts to achieve its higher level strategic objectives in relation to reducing infant mortality (MDG4 improving maternal health (MDG5) and prevention and management of diabetes, as outlined in the MOH’s Strategic Plan (2011 – 2015)
The objectives of the Fiji Health Sector Support Program are:
1. Safe motherhood: Institutionalise a safe motherhood program throughout Fiji at decentralized level;
2. Healthy child: Strengthen infant immunisation and care and the management of childhood illnesses and thus institutionalise a “healthy child” program throughout Fiji;
3. Diabetes: Improve prevention and management of diabetes and hypertension at decentralised levels;
4. Primary health care: Revitalise an effective and sustainable network of village/community health workers as the first point of contact with the health system for people at community level; and
5. Targeted systems strengthening: Strengthen key components of the health system to support decentralised service delivery (including Health Information, Monitoring and Evaluation, Strategic and Operational Planning, Supervision and Operational Research).
The Program objectives will support the achievement of three of the seven Health Outcomes identified in the MOH’s Strategic Plan 2007 – 2011:
a. Reduced burden of NCD;
b. Improved Maternal Health and Reduced Maternal Morbidity and Mortality; and
c. Improved Child Health and Reduced Maternal Morbidity and Mortality.
The Program objectives will also support work in the key focal areas in the MOH’s Strategic Plan 2011 – 2015, namely:
1. Making the Fiji population healthier;
2.Revitalising primary health care approaches to address the burden of NCDs, maternal and child health and precenting communicable disease; and
3. Strengthening key areas of clinical service delivery with continued emphasis on patient safety and risk management.
The Fiji Health Sector Support Program is an Australian aid program implemented by Abt Associates, on behalf of the Australian Government’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.